39 replies to this topic

#1 jocko

jocko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Computers, Fishing, Hunting

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:30 PM

After ~38 years and 12 or so legs, I’ve decided to take the plunge into the micro-processor world. I’m RAK since 1970, will turn 44 this May and can still be considered fairly active, although golf has pretty much taken over my sporting life from the baseball and hockey of years gone by.

My prosthetic guy is certified for both C-Leg and Rheo…he doesn’t favor one over the other really. I was able to snag a C-Leg for 1 month and a Rheo for about 3 weeks. Every week or so I’d stop back in and try a different foot, maybe get some programming tweaks, etc.

Both of the knees offer great stability. Like probably everyone else in here with one of these, I tried all sorts of ways to make it break unexpectedly…it’s not easy, let me tell ya. If I had to give an edge to one over the other, it would be slightly in Rheo’s favor. This may not make sense, but the Rheo was almost too stable for me…there are times when I want a nearly instant break, or at least a very fast one. An example for me would be getting in the car…I want that foot on the floor immediately - I hated standing there for about 3 seconds while the knee casually made it’s way down. Also, going down stairs “foot over foot” was way too slow…it looked great, but I wanted to go about twice as fast as that knee would allow.

For pure walking, I give the edge again to the Rheo…there was no doubt at all the foot would be right where I wanted it for every step. Also, it was smoother that the C-Leg (or any hydraulic unit for that matter) since there was no “snap” at full extension, if you can understand what I’m saying. Perhaps also contributing to the higher walking marks for Rheo was the really nice Flex-Foot, unavailable with the C-Leg (wink wink).

After reading all that, you’ll probably guess I went with the Rheo. Nope. After almost 2 months of going back and forth, I ended up going with the C-Leg. Actually, I was so torn between the 2, I started a spreadsheet listing every possible factor that could impact my decision, assigning a weight to it depending on how important it was to me. A perfect score would’ve been 110…the C-Leg came in at 99, the Rheo at 97.

Honestly, in about 5 years when I’ll be replacing this one, I’ll probably go with a Rheo. I think it’s a great concept that just needs to be refined a little, both functionally and aesthetically. Oh, I should also say I went with the Trias+ foot on the C-Leg…I can’t imagine anyone short of a sprinter not being satisfied with the feel and energy return. I've had a suction socket since 1986 and would never go back to socks...I forget the name of the style I have, but it's the soft plastic on the inside with the harder stuff on the outside.

Couple of quick final comments…

The charging hardware on the Rheo SUCKS. I go to bed in the dark and get up in the dark. Plugging that ridiculously small plug into that ridiculously small hole was a pain the a**. The C-Leg, while having a bigger plug, can easily be plugged in by feel because of its shape.

The “20 step warm-up” deal on the Rheo is stupid too. Hey, in the morning, my 16th step was usually at the top of the stairs…this thing shouldn’t need to re-learn my gate every day.

The C-Leg is waaaay cool looking…the Rheo looks like a high school science project. While I respect the technology and the engineering behind it, I think they could have come up with something better than a big blue rubber rectangle. Like I said, in 5 years this thing will probably look like a stealth bomber, but right now, it’s just plain fugly. Also, the big blue rubbery cover grabs onto my pants every time I sit down.

I’m a little more at ease with the C-Leg in terms of service…I travel a lot for my job…C-Leg techs are all over the place while the Rheo camp is still a little limited.

Whichever one you end up buying, get the rotator! I’ve never had one before…I have no idea why. Anyway, the first steps I took with it felt horrible…I was ready to fall every time the foot hit the floor. But after about an hour, I’m now totally addicted and will never have another leg without it. My golf game will definitely improve with it too.

One thing I had on my last leg and on this one is one of those little buttons to press that let’s you swing the leg in all sorts of unnatural positions. I don’t know what they’re called, but they have won me several beers (bet anyone in a bar you can balance a drink on the bottom of your foot while standing up). They’re also good for changing shoes, which is probably what most people like about them I guess.

Anyway, there’s my story…final total, about $58k…insurance paid every penny except my $500 deductible. Oh, and I’ve used the Otto Bock 3R80 for the past 5 years...a fine "dumb" hydraulic unit that now pales in comparison to this new stuff.

#2 Gaza

Gaza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

hi jacko,

i think you made the right choice between the two, i feel the c-leg is better than the rheo especially looks - for now anyway. as for me, i like most in the uk dont have the benefit of insurance and have to rely on uk-nhs, i have just been issued with the new 3r80, which i have to say is far superior to the old 3r80, which i first used back in 2000, and my old mauch xg. i to was told that i had to have the trias+ foot, but in use thought the trias was a step backwards when compaired with my old vari-flex - i just could not get a smooth action, i then thought why cant i fit my old flex foot - so i did, and the improvment was instant, i will go as far to say that i feel the vari-flex foot must be one of the lightest and best foot available today, and together with my new 3r80 make a great combination. i often wonder what it would be like to trial the c-leg as im curious how it could possibly make any "real" impovments for me - especially when considering the price factor?

#3 jocko

jocko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Gaza @ Mar 29 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi jacko,

i think you made the right choice between the two, i feel the c-leg is better than the rheo especially looks - for now anyway. as for me, i like most in the uk dont have the benefit of insurance and have to rely on uk-nhs, i have just been issued with the new 3r80, which i have to say is far superior to the old 3r80, which i first used back in 2000, and my old mauch xg. i to was told that i had to have the trias+ foot, but in use thought the trias was a step backwards when compaired with my old vari-flex - i just could not get a smooth action, i then thought why cant i fit my old flex foot - so i did, and the improvment was instant, i will go as far to say that i feel the vari-flex foot must be one of the lightest and best foot available today, and together with my new 3r80 make a great combination. i often wonder what it would be like to trial the c-leg as im curious how it could possibly make any "real" impovments for me - especially when considering the price factor?

With my 3R80 (rec'd in 2002) I used the Axtion foot...first time I tried the Flex with the Rheo the difference was unbelievable. The 3R80 is definitely a fine unit...I had only 1 rebuild in 2007. The older Mauch hydraulics always seemed to need rebuilding every 18 months or so. The real driving force for me getting a new leg at all was, while doing the rebuild on the knee, my leg guy noticed the foot was pretty much falling apart. Looking closer at the socket also we noticed some cracks, so I decided to go new. At first, I had no interest at all in the microprocessors...I honestly thought they were all hype. While my 3R80 was in for repair, the loaner knee I got was, you guessed it, a C-Leg. After about 2 weeks my knee came back from Ohio and he took back the C-Leg. I didn't realize how accustomed I got to the C-Leg until I took the first couple of steps with the newly rebuilt 3R80. It was night and day. He ended up letting me keep the loaner C-Leg for another 3 weeks or so, then he put me on the Rheo. Basically, I'm keeping my old leg (with the new 3R80)...he's putting a used Axcion on it and I'll end up using it in situations where I might put the C-Leg at risk...you know, going to the beach, using waders while fishing, that kind of thing.

Again though, I don't think anyone would go wrong choosing a Rheo now, but I think in 5 years it'll be even better. Hopefully also, the powers that be at Otto Bock will eventually allow other feet...a Flex on the C-Leg would be unbeatable I think. And it's not only the warranty issue, it's the design and pylon length required that seems to negate the Flex ability. I was all for trying to match a Flex to the C-Leg, figuring screw the warranty. My size 12 though requires such a height in the foot that it simply can't work with the pylon of the C-Leg.

Now, as far as what kind of improvements you would see with a microprocessor over the 3R80, it's tough to describe. After a day or so, your mind seems to be retrained to not even think about your next step. All the work seems be done for you by the knee. I've been walking on these things in various incarnations since 1970. I thought I was pretty good at controlling them in all sorts of situations. Even you probably don't even think about your "next step" all the time. Your body knows what to do and muscle memory just seems to take over. The C-Leg (and Rheo) takes that concept to a whole new level. The foot is in the position I want before I even knew I wanted it there, if that makes sense. I had to get rid of nearly 40 years of "pushing" that knee forward to ensure a smooth landing. Now that pushing is done for you.

The main thing I've noticed is my ability to simply walk faster with less effort...I notice it everywhere. I went to an NHL game the other night with a friend. We're cheap bastards by nature, so we park about 8 blocks away for free rather than pay $15 at the arena. I've made that walk a dozen times this season...I'm in decent shape, but was always a little winded by the time we would reach our seats. The first time I made that walk with the C-Leg, I felt totally different. I realized only a fraction of the effort was required to accomplish the same thing. I've talked to others that say they've reduced lower back pain, had more energy during the day, didn't bother using handicap parking spaces anymore, etc. It's still tough to describe though. If you get the chance, definitely try one.

#4 Gaza

Gaza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

hi again,

i think you have hit the nail on the head, the "real" difference then between good hydraulic knee units and the c-leg is the reduced amount of effort required to walk - thats it. though when i say "thats it" i dont wish to short change the c-leg after all the more the effort to walk is reduced the more mobile and "normal" an amputee becomes, and this is the ambition of us all - i guess

#5 Lizzie2

Lizzie2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for all the info, jocko - I've found your descriptions of the two knee units really interesting! :)

Lizzie :)

PS What's wrong with walking 8 blocks? :D
Hospitality is making your guests feel at home even when you wish they were.

#6 Caveman

Caveman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Flying (commercial licence and instructor's rating), Cycling, Skiing, HiFi....Lots

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Interesting comparison.

I am 49 RAK after a motorbike /lorry job. Accident Nov 06, First leg March 07.

No insurance here - the offending lorry dissapeared, and can't blame the one I hit! Hey Ho. My left leg is a mess but it works.

I too had the Rheo and Cleg choice. A gift from my mother.

Went to three leading private prosthetists. 2 proposed the C-leg and the third the Rheo. The research papers give the the rheo a slight edge over the C. I went with the Rheo £15,000 rather than £20K or £25k and also percieved 5 year costs to be less. These prices were for the whole leg inc socket and foot. Initially I thought the Rheo would be more adaptable as can have any number of modes via the PDA rather than 2 with the C. I have a liner/bayonet socket anFreedom Renegad foot

I wasn't offered he facility to try the 2 legs.

I wholly concur with the aesthetics comments.

I complained about the charging initially, but then discovered that orientation was easy as the lead is marked. I connect straight away.

Day to day I find the Rheo excellent on all types of terrain, loose ground, sand, ladders, slopes. Stairs are a joy.

I have a superb NHS prothetist. Have the latest Mauch and an elation foot (foot new today), preferred the Mauch to the IP+ and the 3R60 I was offered. Love the free and locked function's of the Mauch. This has a suction socket which I find more secure than that on the other.

I wear either leg all day. The Rheo is noticably better and safer all round, but a well set up traditional is still excellent.

Would like to try the C - some have said it is better for flying, I use the MAuch in preference to the Rheo when flying. Water resistant one next year?

The combination of the Rheo and the Proprio foot would be amazing, just need someone to programme it!

I am fortunate to have 2 good well fitted legs

#7 Gaza

Gaza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:48 AM

hi Lizzie 2,

how far is '8-blocks', us brits still use miles and meters blush.gif

#8 Lizzie2

Lizzie2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Gaza @ Apr 1 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi Lizzie 2,

how far is '8-blocks', us brits still use miles and meters blush.gif

I am a Brit, Gaza. :)

As far as I know (but, I may be wrong? unsure.gif) there are 20 blocks to a mile, so 8 blocks would be about 0.4 miles, so that's approx. 640 metres (?). wacko.gif

#9 cherylm

cherylm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, theatre, needlecrafts, cooking, baking, gardening, reading

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

U.S. blocks can vary widely, especially when you get into larger and newer cities. Lizzie's estimate appears to come close to our short, residential, blocks. Parking eight long city block away from a sporting venue, which is itself surrounded by a massive parking lot, actually can be quite a challenge.
If you stumble, just smile and make it part of the dance.....

#10 jocko

jocko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (cherylm @ Apr 1 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
U.S. blocks can vary widely, especially when you get into larger and newer cities. Lizzie's estimate appears to come close to our short, residential, blocks. Parking eight long city block away from a sporting venue, which is itself surrounded by a massive parking lot, actually can be quite a challenge.

Yes, and it was uphill both ways...and there was a blizzard...and we were dodging sniper fire even worse than Hillary ever saw !!!!!!!

#11 cherylm

cherylm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, theatre, needlecrafts, cooking, baking, gardening, reading

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:06 PM

:D :o :D

I must say that reminds me of listening to my parents talking about how tough they had it, walking to school as kids themselves. They slogged through the blizzards, uphill both ways, dodging wildlife............. my sister and I, walking around a mile each way over level city sidwalks, were definitely considered "pampered."

Then I went back to their childhood homes. In Dad's small town, the school was situated diagonally across an intersection from his house. But Mom was the winner: HER school was a little one-room schoolhouse deposited in the middle of her front yard. They boarded the teacher. Mom walked approximately ten steps to and from school!

Oh, the poor, suffering children.......!

#12 Lizzie2

Lizzie2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:02 AM

How can you have two sorts of one type of distance measurement?! wacko.gif That's a bit like me using miles and nautical miles! ph34r.gif

So, go on, how far exactly was the 8 blocks you walked, jocko? :)

#13 cherylm

cherylm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Lizzie, you piqued my curiosity, as I've never actually thought of a block as being a set measure of distance... it's more a description of a construction/geographic feature to me.

Soooooo.... I looked up "block" in my trusty Websters, and, sure enough, there was no definition relating to specific distances. The closest they came to "block" as we've been bandying it about here was something like "one side of a rectangular plot of land laid out for buildings, homes, or similar structures."

That does, indeed, leave it up to jocko to let us know how long "his" eight blocks were... based on my own experiences with city blocks, I'm willing to hazard a guess that it could be substantial! :)

#14 jocko

jocko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (cherylm @ Apr 2 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lizzie, you piqued my curiosity, as I've never actually thought of a block as being a set measure of distance... it's more a description of a construction/geographic feature to me.

Soooooo.... I looked up "block" in my trusty Websters, and, sure enough, there was no definition relating to specific distances. The closest they came to "block" as we've been bandying it about here was something like "one side of a rectangular plot of land laid out for buildings, homes, or similar structures."

That does, indeed, leave it up to jocko to let us know how long "his" eight blocks were... based on my own experiences with city blocks, I'm willing to hazard a guess that it could be substantial! :)

Tough crowd, tough crowd.

Well, having grown up right next to the BIg Apple, I know an average city block in NYC is 1/20th of a mile. So, an average 8 block walk in a city (which I was in, but it was Minneapolis instead of NYC) is about 2/5 of a mile. Adding in the actual widths of the streets you must cross at each bock, I would guess our unwillingness to pay for parking causes us to walk 1/2 mile...and that's with a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other (in addition to the sniper fire and other hazards I've previosuly noted)!

#15 Lizzie2

Lizzie2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

Ohhh...so, it's about half a mile?

Thanks for the explanation. :)

#16 Eldar

Eldar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Quantum physics, jazz

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hi Jocko ,

My name is Eladr and I joined to the forum couple of days ago. I am a "7 months old" right AK due to an accident on 31 Jan 2008. So I am a complete "fresh" AK amp compared to you.I've come across your porst re C-leg/Rheo Comparison. It's been very useful and helpul for me as I am going to get the C-leg soon. My problem is that I cover it myself. No insurance , no NHS, etc .
I realise that like any other mechanical or computerised device the C-leg may have fault and breakdown therefore I experience high level of anxiety as I will have to plunk down a significant sum of cash and if my C-leg was dead after a warranty period I would be up the s**t creek without a paddle. Having said that,I anyway go with the C-leg as it seems to be the only option for me.
I've read lots of opinions from AK amps on both C-leg n Rheo but all this sounds fine in theory. I've been walking on my temporary prosthesis(four bar knee by Streifeneder and OB dynamic foot) for four months now. I walk quite smoothly using a cane. I've been able to get the C-leg for two hours and it worked great for me. I am eagerly waitning for my two weeks C-leg trial which should due in a week or so.

You seem to be an "old trouper" and I wanted to ask you the following: Did you have any serious brakdown or glitches with you C-leg after a warranty has been expierd?
Are you happy with the Trias plus foot ? Does it have good energy response ?

I am looking forward to hearing from you

Warm regards

Eldar
RAK, Jan 08

(C-leg)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not the pace of life that concerns me. It's the sudden stop at the end.

There's nothing really there until it's observed ....and so far we're the observers.

The woods decay, the woods decay and fall

The vapours weep their burthen to the ground

Man comes and tills the field and lies beneath

And after many a summer dies the swan

(TENNYSON)

#17 cwrm4

cwrm4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

I have had a C-leg for 3 years. I would consider my functional level as "extremely high activity".

Each year, after a year of wearing the leg, it has started to loose resistance during the swing phase, due to internal leaks. I have also had one pylon sensor fail. So, each year I've had it, it has been shipped back to Otto Bock for service.

The last two times were covered under warranty; this time I'm not sure if they will cover it or not, as my leg has the 3-year warranty (new ones have a 5 year warranty). When you ship it back, they give you an equally worn out leg as a loaner, which has me quite irritated at present. Each time it has been returned from service it has functioned like new, and lasted for a good year.

Otto Bock actually recommends the older legs be shipped back every year for service, and the newer ones shipped back every other year.

According to my prosthetist, service outside of warranty generally runs between US$2000 and US$4000. Therefore, I would plan on spending that amount on the leg each year it is out of warranty, if you are an aggressive user of the leg.
Will
RAKA - C-leg
LBKA - Harmony

#18 oneblueleg

oneblueleg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

I wouldn't have an electronic knee if I was paying for it myself unless I knew all about it and could repair it myself out of warranty. I value my ability to walk too much. These are HUGE amounts of money we are talking here... for what? We've all read the good things people say about these devices, but ultimately what do you really NEED. I reckon you get more than adequate function from a hydraulic knee, or an electronically controlled pneumatic knee (available at a fraction of the price of these knees) for most amputees. Don't be sucked in to believing all the hype, no one NEEDS these knees.

#19 Eldar

Eldar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Quantum physics, jazz

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

....as my leg has the 3-year warranty (new ones have a 5 year warranty).

Hi Will,

I am confused about the warranty that the new C-leg comes with. I've just read again on their website that OB offers a "three-year warranty and an optional extended five-year warranty can also be purchased ".
Have I missed something and may be OB has changed the warranty policy for the C-leg?

Eldar
Right AK

Eldar
RAK, Jan 08

(C-leg)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not the pace of life that concerns me. It's the sudden stop at the end.

There's nothing really there until it's observed ....and so far we're the observers.

The woods decay, the woods decay and fall

The vapours weep their burthen to the ground

Man comes and tills the field and lies beneath

And after many a summer dies the swan

(TENNYSON)

#20 cwrm4

cwrm4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:18 PM

When C-Leg 2 came out, I'm fairly certain they offered it with a five-year warranty, and an every other year free rebuild.

However, I suspect they saw the same yearly failure rate with C-Leg 2 as with C-Leg 1, so they may have reduced the warranty back to 3 years.
Will
RAKA - C-leg
LBKA - Harmony

#21 cwrm4

cwrm4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

By the way, I disagree with the notion that no one needs an electronic knee. I would gladly pay everything out of pocket to keep my C-leg going. It has allowed me to do many things I didn't think possible, including flying aircraft. I also haven't fallen in over 2 years (and I am bilateral). However, low activity users may not need the extra functionality the C-leg offers.

In general I have found that people who get an electronic knee early in their recovery will refuse to switch to a non-electronic knee, while most that have used a four-bar or other non-electronic knee for years never seem to be happy with an electronic knee.
Will
RAKA - C-leg
LBKA - Harmony

#22 oneblueleg

oneblueleg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (cwrm4 @ Sep 9 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way, I disagree with the notion that no one needs an electronic knee. I would gladly pay everything out of pocket to keep my C-leg going. It has allowed me to do many things I didn't think possible, including flying aircraft. I also haven't fallen in over 2 years (and I am bilateral). However, low activity users may not need the extra functionality the C-leg offers.

In general I have found that people who get an electronic knee early in their recovery will refuse to switch to a non-electronic knee, while most that have used a four-bar or other non-electronic knee for years never seem to be happy with an electronic knee.

You can do those things with other legs. There are legs designed for greater activity than C-Legs, and for other activities. No one NEEDS legs which cost £58k full stop. Of course, if you've got one and it works well for you, you will feel protective of it and defend it's use. I feel the same about my leg, but for different reasons.

#23 jocko

jocko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (oneblueleg @ Sep 9 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can do those things with other legs. There are legs designed for greater activity than C-Legs, and for other activities. No one NEEDS legs which cost £58k full stop. Of course, if you've got one and it works well for you, you will feel protective of it and defend it's use. I feel the same about my leg, but for different reasons.

I had taken an extra long break from this forum, not because I wanted to, but because of some computer issues. Anyway, as a follow-up to this discussion I started long ago, here's what the finished leg looks like...

#24 AmySkyDivr

AmySkyDivr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving, Weight Lifting, Scuba Diving, Traveling, Cycling

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

Hey there Jocko. Sweet leg!! biggrin.gif

You are from my part of the planet! Had you gone to the ACA when it was held in Minneapolis a couple (or few) years back?

#25 jeff jester

jeff jester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:54 AM

There is a newer microprocessor knee on the market now. It is the Freedom Innovations Plie. I purchased one in December. It is getting good revues and is cheaper then the others. This one cost me (my company) 32K for everything. I went with their foot; the Renegade MX as I was going to try this foot on my next leg anyways. The Plie is water resistant , just cannot submerge it and has changeable batteries so I always have an extra charged up. As I have not tried any other micro knees, I cannot compare but am quite happy with this one's performance.Attached File  Leg.jpg   209.1KB   33 downloads

#26 jeff jester

jeff jester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (jeff jester @ Apr 4 2009, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a newer microprocessor knee on the market now. It is the Freedom Innovations Plie. I purchased one in December. It is getting good revues and is cheaper then the others. This one cost me (my company) 32K for everything. I went with their foot; the Renegade MX as I was going to try this foot on my next leg anyways. The Plie is water resistant , just cannot submerge it and has changeable batteries so I always have an extra charged up. As I have not tried any other micro knees, I cannot compare but am quite happy with this one's performance.

#27 jocko

jocko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (AmySkyDivr @ Apr 3 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are from my part of the planet! Had you gone to the ACA when it was held in Minneapolis a couple (or few) years back?

Damn...I woulda if I had even known about it....oh well! I moved out here from NJ in late 2002. This one was built by Rebound Prsothetics up here around me (I'm about 35 miles due west of the Cities).

#28 jocko

jocko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (jeff jester @ Apr 4 2009, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a newer microprocessor knee on the market now. It is the Freedom Innovations Plie. I purchased one in December. It is getting good revues and is cheaper then the others. This one cost me (my company) 32K for everything. I went with their foot; the Renegade MX as I was going to try this foot on my next leg anyways. The Plie is water resistant , just cannot submerge it and has changeable batteries so I always have an extra charged up. As I have not tried any other micro knees, I cannot compare but am quite happy with this one's performance.Attached File  Leg.jpg   209.1KB   33 downloads

That looks sharp Jeff!

#29 tomer

tomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (oneblueleg @ Sep 9 2008, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi oneblueleg

I disagree with you completely. Other than my AK , I also suffered from a traumatic brain injury and C1 incomplete spinal cord injury - which means for me, dizziness. all the time and double vision.
They started me with a Total Knee 2000 which is (to my opinion) not so active and a very safe knee. even though, I never felt safe walking with it outdoors. then I bought using my own money C-Leg Compact. After I learned to use it properly, I started walking more . a lot more. I guess due to the safety it gave me. I haven't had a chance to try other MPC knees as currently there aren't any available in Israel but I doubt if any knee could make me feel so safe ...
So all is true. it costs too much, the maintenance is expensive and Ottobock are horrible. but it WORKS
TBI, C1 SCI, LAK

#30 oneblueleg

oneblueleg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (tomer @ Apr 4 2009, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi oneblueleg

I disagree with you completely. Other than my AK , I also suffered from a traumatic brain injury and C1 incomplete spinal cord injury - which means for me, dizziness. all the time and double vision.
They started me with a Total Knee 2000 which is (to my opinion) not so active and a very safe knee. even though, I never felt safe walking with it outdoors. then I bought using my own money C-Leg Compact. After I learned to use it properly, I started walking more . a lot more. I guess due to the safety it gave me. I haven't had a chance to try other MPC knees as currently there aren't any available in Israel but I doubt if any knee could make me feel so safe ...
So all is true. it costs too much, the maintenance is expensive and Ottobock are horrible. but it WORKS

You can disagree, it's your right. However, just because you have a C leg and it feels safer than a Total knee doesn't mean you need to spend £58k. In fact far from it, you can feel safe spending much much less than that. If I wanted a knee that felt safe, I would steer a mile away from a Total knee. I'm afraid it's not just my opinion, it's a fact... the way any 4 bar knee works, there are circumstances where it suddenly, without warning, it becomes unstable.
Let me repeat, you do not need to spend £58k... and for the safety requirements you describe, you don't need an MPC knee (although there are MPC knees that cost MUCH LESS than a C leg). You could buy a leg for MUCH LESS than £58k and achieve safety and satisfaction.

#31 AmySkyDivr

AmySkyDivr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving, Weight Lifting, Scuba Diving, Traveling, Cycling

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (jocko @ Apr 4 2009, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AmySkyDivr @ Apr 3 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn...I woulda if I had even known about it....oh well! I moved out here from NJ in late 2002. This one was built by Rebound Prsothetics up here around me (I'm about 35 miles due west of the Cities).

I live near Rochester and so have used the same prosthetist since 1978. There is only one prosthetic company in Rochester so unless I wanna drive to the Twin Cities every time I need some urgent adjustment (which I don't) I'm stuck with what I've got here.

June 2006 is when the ACA was held in MN. I wish they'd come back!!!

#32 tomer

tomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (oneblueleg @ Apr 4 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (tomer @ Apr 4 2009, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi oneblueleg

You can disagree, it's your right. However, just because you have a C leg and it feels safer than a Total knee doesn't mean you need to spend £58k. In fact far from it, you can feel safe spending much much less than that. If I wanted a knee that felt safe, I would steer a mile away from a Total knee. I'm afraid it's not just my opinion, it's a fact... the way any 4 bar knee works, there are circumstances where it suddenly, without warning, it becomes unstable.
Let me repeat, you do not need to spend £58k... and for the safety requirements you describe, you don't need an MPC knee (although there are MPC knees that cost MUCH LESS than a C leg). You could buy a leg for MUCH LESS than £58k and achieve safety and satisfaction.

I fell 3 times with the Total Knee. 1 time outdoors, thought the knee was locked while standing to get out of the car - and it wasn't.
so far, I haven't fallen at all with the C. you can't get any other MPC knees in Israel and the Total Knee - wasn't my choice for a knee. the head physical therapist decided it would be the best choice for a safe knee to start me on.
TBI, C1 SCI, LAK

#33 oneblueleg

oneblueleg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (tomer @ Apr 5 2009, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fell 3 times with the Total Knee. 1 time outdoors, thought the knee was locked while standing to get out of the car - and it wasn't.
so far, I haven't fallen at all with the C. you can't get any other MPC knees in Israel and the Total Knee - wasn't my choice for a knee. the head physical therapist decided it would be the best choice for a safe knee to start me on.

I've heard people commenting on falling with a Total knee. I wouldn't have one as I like stablity too. The fact remains, you don't need an MPC knee to have a stable knee. There are perfectly good non MPC stabilising knees out there that are MUCH MUCH cheaper.

#34 tomer

tomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (oneblueleg @ Apr 5 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (tomer @ Apr 5 2009, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard people commenting on falling with a Total knee. I wouldn't have one as I like stablity too. The fact remains, you don't need an MPC knee to have a stable knee. There are perfectly good non MPC stabilising knees out there that are MUCH MUCH cheaper.

What type of knee are you using?
As I said before, I didn't choose the Total Knee. Before the TK I was using a "locked" knee.
TBI, C1 SCI, LAK

#35 oneblueleg

oneblueleg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (tomer @ Apr 6 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What type of knee are you using?
As I said before, I didn't choose the Total Knee. Before the TK I was using a "locked" knee.

I personally use an Endolite ESK+ knee which stabilises upon loading anywhere from straight up to about 25deg flexion. It releases upon the load being taken off at or about toe off. It's aligned correctly and NEVER lets me fall. The only times I've fallen have been because I'm drunk or have not felt the edge of a rug/step etc.... not because of the knee. I've fallen about twice in the last several years... it just doesn't happen.
There are other stabilising knees. The Total Knee relies on geomtric stability, you load it wrongly and it will not support you. I wouldn't wear one.

#36 Chrissy

Chrissy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:30 AM

I completely disagree with anyone who says "no one NEEDS these knees." As a recent hip disartic amputee, a microprocessor knee is almost essential to having a chance to walk again when you have lost three joints. I am just hoping in the end I will be able to have one if my insurance co. will agree to cover it.

I welcome the debate between the C-leg and the Rheo, as I am in the process of making a decision between the two knees right now. My prosthetist is recommending the C-leg to me. I held one in my hand the other day, and boy, that sucker is heavy!!!

I would love to keep reading more opinions!

#37 oneblueleg

oneblueleg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (Chrissy @ Apr 8 2009, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I completely disagree with anyone who says "no one NEEDS these knees." As a recent hip disartic amputee, a microprocessor knee is almost essential to having a chance to walk again when you have lost three joints. I am just hoping in the end I will be able to have one if my insurance co. will agree to cover it.

I welcome the debate between the C-leg and the Rheo, as I am in the process of making a decision between the two knees right now. My prosthetist is recommending the C-leg to me. I held one in my hand the other day, and boy, that sucker is heavy!!!

Can you describe the feature/features of any MPC knee that makes it NEEDED... what is it, over and above a mechanical knee that means you would NEED it?

#38 Chrissy

Chrissy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (oneblueleg @ Apr 8 2009, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you describe the feature/features of any MPC knee that makes it NEEDED... what is it, over and above a mechanical knee that means you would NEED it?

From what I have learned so far, it all has to do with energy expenditure. The microprocessor knee provides more stability and is more energy efficient. This is crucial. With a hip disarticulation, you are left having to make up for not just the knee and ankle, but the hip as well. With the hip gone, it takes a tremendous amount of energy to walk with a prosthetic. Because of this, many times a hip disartic amputee will give up using a prosthetic simply because of the fatigue involved to use it. With the microprocessor knee, the amount of energy expenditure used to walk is greatly reduced compared to a conventional mechanical knee. This gives someone a much greater chance of success in using their prosthetic. Here is an interesting article if your interested.

http://findarticles....01/ai_n9478440/

#39 oneblueleg

oneblueleg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Chrissy @ Apr 8 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (oneblueleg @ Apr 8 2009, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I have learned so far, it all has to do with energy expenditure. The microprocessor knee provides more stability and is more energy efficient. This is crucial. With a hip disarticulation, you are left having to make up for not just the knee and ankle, but the hip as well. With the hip gone, it takes a tremendous amount of energy to walk with a prosthetic. Because of this, many times a hip disartic amputee will give up using a prosthetic simply because of the fatigue involved to use it. With the microprocessor knee, the amount of energy expenditure used to walk is greatly reduced compared to a conventional mechanical knee. This gives someone a much greater chance of success in using their prosthetic. Here is an interesting article if your interested.

http://findarticles....01/ai_n9478440/

OK, I understand, in that case there are knees out there that provide that feature for a fraction of the cost of a C-leg.
Thanks for explaining.

#40 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Lap swimming, teaching history, movies, reading non-fiction, eating

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:32 AM

I am walking on a OB Compact MP knee without a warranty. My prosthetist said not to worry when he sends it back to OB because they will just quote me a price for repair and insurance may pay 80%. My foot is not OB, but he only sends the knee back to OB. If it gets too expensive insurance will pay 80% of a new knee like the Mauch Knee.
"Those who forget to remember the past are condemned to repeat it", George Santayana.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users